[TowerTalk] RE: Bang for the buck?

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: Bang for the buck?
From: David J Rodman MD <rodman@buffalo.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 06:29:35 -0500
I went through this before but without the variance situation.

Comments:

First, by charging or "collecting" an administrative permit for $883, the town is telling you in official language they do not want you or your tower. This matter has been brought up by ARRL in the past and is one of the reasons states need to address the issues of tower ordinances individually or collectively on a national basis. Expect an uphill battle. I suggest you take up this with ARRL and get advice who in your state is politically active or a politician who is sympathetic.

Secondly, the UBC applies to all structures in my state. When I put a crank up tower, I had to pay a local engineering firm a few thousand dollars to recalculate the loads and restamp the plans for my house and tower separately. I was lucky I found someone capable of doing this. The local building office even tried to stop the construction by raising the question of "ice" on the structure. This is also a useful tool to discourage you from trying to put this up.

I used a US Tower, put up a 90' model, told the office I had modified it to stay below the minimum allowed and avoided a "variance". I suggest you do the same thing, i.e. get a larger size tower that can meet the UBC calculations, including loads at the higher wind speed and anything else they throw at you but certify the tower will not go above 45'. Then I would put your antennas up and be happy. If your tower goes up over 45' accidentally, tell the building inspector to climb it and put a tape measure there himself.

Believe me, the aggravation is not worth the cost in the long run. You will grow tired of the fight. Ultimately, you might grow tired of radio too. You are better investing your time in lobbying state legislature on a state wide tower ruling that limits costs towns can inflict on hams wanting to go 10-15' above height limits. PRB-1 is useless, because the town will probably be seen as "reasonably accommodating" your request with the fee and variance permit if you sue them in Federal or State Court.

Good luck.