RE: [TowerTalk] 55 foot Rohn 25G proposed tower, source for HD housebrac

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] 55 foot Rohn 25G proposed tower, source for HD housebracket?
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 11:16:58 -0400

On Apr 6, 2004, at 9:36 PM, Bob A. Booey wrote:

Dear List,

I have about 59 feet of Rohn 25G which I want to put up. I will set 4 or more feet of the first section in concrete putting the top down at 55 feet. I have a tall, estate type home, the eave is 21 feet above ground level. I figure I would heavy bracket the tower at the eave, using the HBUTVRO bracket, or something equivalent that is more easily found (suggestions appreciated).

The HB25 brackets are plenty strong for Rohn 25.

I have a similar installation. 48.5 feet of Rohn 25 with a pointy top, buried 4 feet in concrete. Brackets at 17 and 25.5 feet. Tower has 5 feet of mast out the top, putting the antenna at 49.5 feet (15m).

I would recommend TWO brackets. In the Rohn catalog, all of the bracket examples use at least two brackets. In addition to prevent bending of the tower below the top bracket, it also offers some redundancy should the top bracket fail.

That would put the top at 34 feet above the bracket.

That's an awful lot of tower above the bracket. I only have 19 feet of tower above the bracket. Consider that you'll have to climb up there to install and service the antenna and rotator. Rohn 25 is only rated for about 30 in free-standing service, and is probably no fun to climb.

When I climb up to the rotator level, my tower wiggles around more than I'm comfortable with -- and that's still 4 feet below the tower top!

I have a tapered top section (25AG I believe), and will use no protruding mast above the top and an A4S (5.5 sq. ft wind load) on top. Any possibility of can getting away without guy wires on such an installation? How much would an installation such as this be pushing it?

I think this is pushing it. You might do better to forego a section and settle on 45 feet. That's still 24 feet above the bracket, which is a lot.

Some of it depends where you live. What's the wind rating of your county? Mine is 75 MPH in Gwinnett County, GA. By my calculations, my tower with A3S can withstand 75 MPH winds with a 40% operating margin.

Anyone have a Rohn HBUTVRO (or equivalent) HD house bracket for sale? Maybe HBU? Suggestions on where to get either one? Build one with angle stock from scratch?

I had no luck finding any used brackets other than some HB25A's, which were too short for my installation. I ended up having to buy two HB25B's new.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL Mail: aa4lr@arrl.net Quote: "Not within a thousand years will man ever fly!" -- Wilbur Wright, 1901