[TowerTalk] Re: [Amps] Relays for RF switching

To: Vic Rosenthal <vic@rakefet.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: [Amps] Relays for RF switching
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 07:03:13 -0400
At 01:11 AM 4/15/04, Vic wrote:

I needed a remote (indoor) antenna switching unit, and since I had everything I needed in my junkbox, I decided to build it instead of paying $140+ to Ameritron. I used some relays that I had purchased from All Electronics for $1.50 each; they are "power relays" with contacts rated 15a at 120 VAC. After all, 1500 watts into a 50 ohm line is only about 280 volts and 5.3 amps.

Hey, if it worked I'd be in the miser's hall of fame. However, what happened is that the relays got quite hot after about 15 seconds at the 1500 watt level. They are enclosed in little plastic boxes, but it's possible to touch the bottom of the armature and it is hot enough that I am afraid of what would happen in a contest or long rag chew.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever done anything like this, and if so, what kind of relays they used. Or, if someone has an Ameritron unit handy, if you would be so kind as to look inside and see what kind of relay they use.

I'm also curious as to why the relays heat up.

Puzzles me, too -- both the TopTen remote relay box and the WX0B Stackmatch use much smaller 12v SPDT PCBoard relays and are proven reliable at full power. The part number is NAiS JW1FSN-DC12V, and they are available from Mouser for `$2 each.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
is back, at www.pvrc.org/WCSD/WCSDsearch.htm