[TowerTalk] FW: windmill towers (additional info)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: windmill towers (additional info)
From: Warren Munro <wmunro@lava.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 08:32:39 -1000
From: Warren Munro <wmunro@lava.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 08:31:19 -1000
To: <tower-talk@contesting.com>
Subject: windmill towers (additional info)

Hi to all TowerTalkians:

Windmill towers didn't get the play on this reflector that I think they
deserve, so here's more info:

Two very informative articles on windmill tower construction and use by hams
appeared in QST:

"Build Your Own Steel Tower" (using windmill tower techniques) by W. J.
Sheehan W1IXI appeared in June 1953 QST.

"Windmill Towers: the Gentle Art of Getting Them Up or Down" by Malcolm B.
Magers W0OJI in QST (same time period, but issue date clipped off my copy).

VESTO towers aimed at the ham market (QST ads etc.) did use windmill-style
construction techniques, but the tallest commonly billed for amateur use was
61 feet and the company appears to be long gone.  And the Aermotor windmill
towers available today are available only up to 47 feet as far as I can
tell.

One REAL problem with using windmill towers today is that UBC-type data
(probably necessary for building permits) appears to be non-existent - I
would welcome any information on actual engineering calcs for windmill
towers.

Other than that, these towers are extremely stable due to wide base, easily
climbable, easy to work on the top end (many have built-in platforms), last
a lifetime, are super-strong, can be built up from the ground with no
machinery needed, and (important from a ham perspective) can occasionally be
obtained for a fraction of replacement or equivalent lattice tower cost.
Even new cost is not exorbitant from sources such as O'Brock windmills in
Amish country Ohio.

I can furnish copies of the 2 articles for anyone interested.

And no, here on Oahu, I have not found any old windmills looking for a new
home hi.

73,

Warren  KH6WM