RE: [TowerTalk] Re: [Amps] Relays for RF switching

To: "'Tom Rauch'" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Re: [Amps] Relays for RF switching
From: "Tod Olson" <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 16:36:12 -0500
Tom:

>I have some small fifty cent relays that will
>handle the equivalent of 20kW CCS into 50 ohms at 50MHz, and
>some fifty dollar two pound relays that overheat at 1kW.

Any thoughts about what things cause the differences you observe?

>The low frequency AC or DC switching rating of a relay has almost nothing
to do with how suitable it is for RF           >applications.

>There is no way to patch around a bad relay. Just buy a good one.

Tom, how does one read the catalog specifications and somehow decided "that
one will work"? If the only way we can be certain is physical testing, then
one would wish for some way to exchange findings between the folks who have
tested and found some that work and the folks who are 'looking' for
something that will work.

Tod, KØTO