Re: [TowerTalk] Convert a Ham IV to a T2X?

To: Rob Frohne <frohro@wwc.edu>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Convert a Ham IV to a T2X?
From: Phil - KB9CRY <kb9cry@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 15:30:37 -0500
Don't take this personally but an even better idea is the scrap that rotator and purchase a worm gear Alfa Spid rotator. Super strong worm gear technology, no brakes to break, no end stops to get jammed up on, big worm gears, mucho torque, less wires to run. Mine has been turning my 3 el. 40 M yagi no problem. I gonna soon drop my KT34XA and while I do that, I'm gonna swap out my Ham IV for a Spid. Phil KB9CRY

Rob Frohne wrote:

Hi All,

I noted on the following page that there seem to be few differences between the Ham IV and the T2X rotors. http://www.rotordoc.com/history.html
I am getting ready to put up a new antenna, and so have opened up my Ham IV to find out what needed to be fixed. There were several issues (it was turning a 4 element quad for several years). One of the issues is that one of the four bolts that holds the bell housing to the brake housing has a bolt broken off in it. I have two of these Ham IV's that I was swapping out as necessary for maintenance. My other one has had the bell housing drilled and tapped for larger bolts once and is in need of it again. I think moving to a T2X looks like a better idea than just replacing these parts, especially since it looks like there may be only a few extra parts to make it a T2X. (I already have CATS super wedge.) Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks,

Rob
--
Rob Frohne, Ph.D., P.E.