Re: [TowerTalk] Short Dipole for 40M

To: <K3BU@aol.com>, <Towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Short Dipole for 40M
From: "Grillo's" <ah3c@frii.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:32:12 -0600
Somewhere in the NCJ archives you can search for my prototype "2 element W6RTT
40M Droopy"....no loading coils...about 5 bucks in cost.  It worked great on
top of a 54' Tristao crank-up tower.  It was built with wire and yard sticks
(not for windy areas, but can be beefed up with better selection of supports).
The yardsticks were used as spacers at each end of a 24' Hy-Gain 204BA boom.
Bamboo sticks were stuffed at the reflector tips and front director tips.  1/2
wave #16 insulated wire was strung using this spreader arrangement in a driven
element/director setup.  The left over wire drooping down the element tips was
kept from getting tangled by adding a fishing tackle lead weight.  It had great
forward gain (approx 5.5 db).  SWR was just like you would expect a full size 2
element beam to be.  I used it in one SS contest, then took it down.  It even
worked on 15M
How's that for a tribander?  Great fun.  Been thinking about doing it again....