[TowerTalk] BPL & politics belong somewhere else

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] BPL & politics belong somewhere else
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:07:37 -0000
Gentlemen and gentle ladies:

While you undoubtedly have good cause to be disturbed by
political rhetoric concerning BPL, this is not the place to
vent.  At best, you should vent on RFI@contesting.com.

I would submit, however, that it will not benefit amateur
radio if we are perceived as having a political agenda.
This reflector is completely public, and can be searched
by google.  Try it sometime.

The vision of providing everyone in america with broadband
access to the internet is a good one.  Motherhood, apple pie,
two chickens in every pot, and 760k wideband.  Hard to argue with.

Our problem lies not with the politicians, but with lawyers
who are formulating policy while disregarding input from their
technical support staffs.

Our argument is with the FCC.  BPL is a bad investment, as time
will prove.  I predict that we will not see power company stock
values rise as a result of the experience.

There IS another perspective, which you should consider:

Added competition will tend to keep prices in line.  I, for one,
support DSL and wireless broadband rollout, for that reason.
BPL seems an overly complex, solution which is late to the market.
It offers no economy, UNLESS automatic meter reading via internet pays for
the
infrastructure, and our access fees come down to 15 bucks a month vs. 40.
In that event...prepare for interference.

Let's take this over to the RFI reflector, though.

N2EA
jimjarvis@ieee.org