[TowerTalk] 9913; Rotor loops

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 9913; Rotor loops
From: "Lou Laderman" <lladerman@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 20:50:33 -0500
The string on 9913 has been very interesting.  I have a major recabling
project to do this summer, and am debating what coax to use for the runs
to my tower (150 feet or so, 1HF, 1 6M, 1 2M beam). The tower is a
crank-up, but I leave the coax free from the top cable standoff to the
ground, and always monitor motorized progress up or down, so having an
ultraflex cable was not that much of an issue for me. Rotor loops may be
another issue. I'm using 9913 in continuous runs on 6 and 2, and my SWR
has climbed. It's either a breakdown on the cable from flexing at the
rotor loop, water intrusion, or the age of the cable (or all).

Mention was made of using a different, more flexible coax for rotor
loops than used on the main coax lines.  I've seen this suggested
elsewhere also. I've also heard (and followed) advice that you're better
off with a continuous run of coax than breaking the line with a
connector, and inserting losses in the line.  Which is correct?

73,

Lou

Louis N. Laderman
Email:  lladerman@earthlink.net