[TowerTalk] Re: BPL: Presidential Backing

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: BPL: Presidential Backing
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@centurytel.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 22:38:51 -0700
Marlon,

The number one reason that the amateur service exists is stated in the FCC's
Basis and Purpose of the Amateur Radio Service, rule 97.1(a) - "Recognition
of amateur radio's exceptional capability to provide emergency
communications."  All of the broadband services require substantial
infrastructure to pass a single byte of information.  They fail "early and
often" in an emergency - ask any county emergency manager.  Amateur Radio is
the only service that survives loss of infrastructure because it doesn't
require any - only useable spectrum.  BPL *will* pollute the HF spectrum.

Quite simply, if BPL is permitted to pollute the amateur HF frequencies,
then it is highly unlikely that amateur radio will remain the dynamic
service it is today and there will be dramatically fewer hams available to
provide emergency communications.  It will erode and eventually destroy a
100-year-old service (not just a hobby) that has served this country well in
many areas.

Nobody thought there was anything wrong with dumping industrial waste in the
water until we "discovered" that it affected us in unexpected and unpleasant
ways.  The anglers pointed out the damage early on, but nobody listened to
them, either.

Broadband - yes.  BPL - no.

73, Ward N0AX

PS - If you'd like to get a quick fly-over of the Amateur Service and its
many unique and interesting capabilities, I will cheerfully admit to a
conflict of interest and direct you to my new book, "Ham Radio for Dummies"
by Wiley Press.  It will answer many of your questions about why ham radio
is a unique and valuable service well worth the spectrum it occupies.