Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rods

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rods
From: Bill Turner <wrt@dslextreme.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 09:23:32 -0700
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:18:01 -0400, Tom Rauch wrote:

>I'd never trust a shallow horizontal ground rod as a
>lightning ground. Vertical rods in good soil make poor
>enough grounds. A horizontal rod is really just a very short
>radial, it isn't much for lightning or RF.

I would think the ground conductivity would be better near the surface
rather than deep underground, wouldn't it?  Especially when rain is
falling.

Why conduct the lightning deep under the surface where the soil is drier
and conductivity is less?  I do live in the desert where the water table
is about a thousand feet down, so perhaps my situation is different from
most.

Am I missing some part of the picture?

--
Bill, W6WRT