Re: [TowerTalk] Rural Housetop deployment methods?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rural Housetop deployment methods?
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 06:59:34 -0500
At 06:46 AM 5/10/2004, Steve Meuse wrote:

At 10:49 PM 5/9/2004 -0500, Lance Peterson wrote:
I'm deploying an antenna on my residential rooftop for 2.4GHz wireless for a community LAN and I was wondering the best way to get 20' high with no guy wires. Currently I am using a 3ft tripod with a 1.5 OD 10' piece of heavy wall conduit...very rigid and withstood a heck of a windstorm yesterday, but not quite high enough. Loading is minimal with one radio and a 70" antenna on top. What supports and materials would be best for this application. I was really hoping there was a 20' mast I could use that would fit in my current roof tripod that accepts 2"OD max.

If I have to, I could settle for 15'...

Try locating a fencing contractor, they usually have 20' lengths of conduit that would be acceptable for a small antenna.

Be very careful with this idea. In many cases not only is the top rail of
chain link fence actually pipe with no structural rating, but also it is often a
long piece of flat steel rolled into a tube and held together (?) only by the
galvanizing.

Personally I would NEVER use fence rails--unless I knew for a fact that
they were drawn or extruded and had a structural rating that I could
verify.

--John W0UN

---