Re: [TowerTalk] Class 2 and Class 7 Poles

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Class 2 and Class 7 Poles
From: Rob Frohne <frohro@wwc.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 21:42:07 -0700
Hi All,

Interesting topic. A few years ago, I tried to obtain a 120' phone pole new, and all the guys I talked to said it had been years since they had seen one even close to that size. One of my mentors when I was young, was Gale Alred, (KL7BJW, KL7JW, KL7G) who had a 117 foot phone pole with a railroad track up the side. He had a cart that went up and down the track, and could lower the whole thing from his shack whenever a big wind blew (and we got them with winds over 100 mph). He had antennas as big six element 20 meter quagi on an 80 foot boom that his prop pitch turned on that thing and year after year never had any trouble with it at all.

73,

Rob, KL7NA/W7