[TowerTalk] 40 M Rotatable Dipole above Quad

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40 M Rotatable Dipole above Quad
From: "Craig Sande" <craig.sande@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 14:43:07 -0700
I am installing a 70 foot crank-up tower and would like to install a Lightning
Bolt 4-element 5-band quad with a 6 meter add-on.  This should provide nice
performance on 20-6.  In addition, I would still love to have a rotatable
dipole for 40 meters.

I've read through the archives and have noted where others have mounted their
rotatable dipole on the quad's boom, but then it interacted with 15 M.  Others
were considering placement of the rotatable dipole above the quad parallel to
the quad's boom, but I didn't see any followup messages about performance.  I
would expect the rotatable dipole's performance might decrease due to
interaction with the quad's boom.  As long as it wasn't a major compromise, I
would lean this direction.  I was going to use a 20 foot mast with the quad
mounted at the top of the tower and the rotatable dipole mounted about 14-15
feet above the top of the tower (this would be 5-6 feet above the highest
element of the quad).  I'm not sure if this makes sense or not as I don't have
much experience with such antennas (yet).

Does anyone have advice for me on a way to keep both a quad beam and a 40 meter
rotatable dipole on the same crank-up tower?

Thanks,

Craig