RE: [TowerTalk] Power ground

To: "Wilson Lui" <wilsonlui@atitec.com>,"Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Power ground
From: "Dubovsky, George" <George.Dubovsky@andrew.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 14:57:34 -0400
Interesting that "silver solder" is rated to a higher temp than compression
fittings. Silver solder is really brazing, by definition. For instance Harris
"StaySilv15" (a common "silphos" braze w/15% silver, often used in
refrigeration tubing joints), has a solidus temp of 1190 F (643 C); it's
liquidus point (melting point) is a couple hundred higher. A very common silver
solder, Harris StaySilv56 (56% silver), has its solidus temp 40 degrees F
lower; it is often used to join cast iron and steel together, where you don't
want to melt the parent metal. It is *definitely not* soft solder.

I'm with K8RI - a brazed connection is not an inferior electrical connection
when compared with the usual compression fitting. I wonder if the term
"compression", as used by the IEEE, includes the Nicopress-types, usually
installed with a big-ass, hydraulic crimper. I always thought those would be
excellect connections, mechanically and electrically.

73,

geo - n4ua

this email is prohibited.
[mf2]