Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for tower shipping company recommendations

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK)" <richard@karlquist.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for tower shipping company recommendations
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 11:35:16 -0700
At 09:19 AM 5/27/2004 -0700, Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK) wrote:
I'm looking for names of trucking companies
that would be good for shipping a tower within
California.

Rick N6RK

What you're probably looking for is a LTL (Less Than Load) hauler. The rates for shipping freight are essentially fixed (at least for interstate shipments) based on the weight and "Class" of the stuff being shipped. The differentiation between companies is more on customer service and scheduling: will they load and unload for you, do they ship to a residence, will your stuff get there in a reasonable and predictable time, will your stuff be in a covered box or on a flatbed, etc., etc., etc.

A tower is probably a pretty low shipping class piece of gear (not quite like pig iron, but probably not up in the "electronic equipment" or even "commercial merchandise" kinds of things. Maybe Class 55?

I've had good luck with Old Dominion Freight Lines and Yellow Freight in the past. Acquaintances of mine that have shipped small shipments (like pole transformers) say good things about ODFL.

Jim, W6RMK