Re: [TowerTalk] Heath Cantenna

To: jimlux@earthlink.net, mark@concertart.com,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Heath Cantenna
From: BobK8IA@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 20:22:16 EDT
Jim's latest was a wonderful jog on my old memory. I do recall the biggest
"problem" back then being the PCB's found in power capactitors and not
necessarily what was in transformers. It started when a bank of them let go one
summer
day and spilled its contents near where a TV news crew was doing a story.
Plus, the hazerdous material tech sent out to supervise the cleanup was very
sarcastic with the crew, not very PR minded. As you can imagine, that set off
daily
tv news and print news "events" for the next 2 weeks! The summer of 1979 in
Detroit. I worked for the utility in question then, Detroit Edison (now DTE
Energy).

To be honest with all of you, I had a Cantenna filled by the Salvage guys at
Detroit Edsion (about 1971) that remained with me for at least 15 yrs, right
behind my operating desk back then. I never felt threatened at all and am not
seeing any ill affects that I or my physicaian can tell. ;-) Obvioiusly, it
could be longer term, but I just never cared that much. When I got rid of it it
went to another ham.

I have no idea what was in that Cantenna but I assumed it was a high
probability that it was PCB, since the real PCB "awareness" never hit the
company
until late in the 70s. Like Jim says, unless its in high concentrations or
chronic
exposure it really isnt much of a health issue.

Never touched the liquid, never drank any. ;-) But, then again Mark, I'd
probably re-fill the Cantenna with something better known or just pitch it
altogether.

73, Bob K8IA
in the shadow of the Superstition Mtns
Arizona USA
http://www.members.aol.com/bobk8ia/index.htm

In a message dated 6/6/04 4:57:12 PM US Mountain Standard Time,