RE: [TowerTalk] URI magic antennas

To: aa6yq@ambersoft.com
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] URI magic antennas
From: k1ttt@arrl.net
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 07:12:30 -0400 (EDT)
there are new antenna designs all the time.  but they are incremental
changes and build on well known technology.  witness the steppir, improved
yagi designs by m2 or f12, and yes, even fractal designs... none of them
are unique or amazing, but each one has some small improvement over
existing designs.  now maybe this 'new' design has indeed found a way to
reduce losses, but it probably depends on what you measure against...
without more details it can't even be modeled let alone built and tested.
the only real hint in the press release was that his 'breakthrough' was
when he examined the melted model, this could mean he realized that the
loss was worst at the base, so maybe he has designed a silver plated fat
field strength?  only if you were measuring against an antenna that wasted
over 50% of it's input already... assuming the same radiation pattern of
course.

I look at the state of the art in antenna design as 'mature'.  much like
the design of many other technologies that have been around for the last
100 years or so, there is probably little that remains to be discovered
that is really revolutionary.  limits can be pushed by new materials or
improved construction techniques.  old designs can be optimized by better
computer modeling.  but the basic physics are well defined and a hundred
years of experimentation and testing by some of the best minds on earth
have probably probed most of the likely areas for improvement.  that any
individual would stumble on something that has been totally overlooked for
that long is unlikely.

so where does that leave us??? waiting for details to pick apart.  is it
something revolutionary?  unlikely, but at least this one doesn't claim to
rely on new physics that i have seen.  is it that much better than the
best we have now?  unlikely, but we don't know what he claims to be
measuring against yet.  am i interested?  unlikely, i have room for full
size stuff and none of these compact designs has been shown to be better
than full size antennas.  so until there are more details all we can do is
speculate and waste time in the short summer antenna growing season.