[TowerTalk] ground losses (vertical antennas)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ground losses (vertical antennas)
From: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 16:23:36 -0700
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
snip
> The ground losses in my large F-250 Super
> Cab long bed truck with the antenna mounted....

I am having difficulty accepting the concept of ground losses that Tom
(and many others in articles and books) refer to.

On the one hand, the vertical is often depicted sticking up out of the
ground and having dotted rays of antenna current (field?) flowing out
from it on their way to ground and back through ground to the source
connection.  Even though the surface path through ground is
humongous, I can rationalize that there is still resistance and as
is often mentioned some radiated power is heating the earth!

On the other hand, what bothers me is that current flowing  back
through ground must be equal to the current flowing into the
antenna and thus radiated.  It seems the radiated current from
the antenna is split.  Part goes into space and part goes into ground.
If the ground resistance is reduced it would seem that more of
the antenna current would go into ground and less into space?????

help!

k7puc