Re: [TowerTalk] Radio Shack 300 Ohm Line Characteristics

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Bill Tippett" <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radio Shack 300 Ohm Line Characteristics
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 10:49:29 -0700
Hi Bill,

Using Keven Schmidt's TL Calculator

http://fermi.la.asu.edu/w9cf/tran/index.html

I got 0.39 dB/100' for 450 ohm windowed line and 0.54 dB/100'
for 300 ohm tubular line. This is about what you would expect if
you assume that conductor loss is the dominant factor (probably
a good assumption at 28 MHz) and that the wire size (and type)
is the same in both cases (W9CF's applet doesn't tell you the
wire size of the lines). If, however, you are comparing 300
twinlead with stranded #20 AWG conductors to heavy duty 450
line with #16 AWG solid conductors, then its possible that the
450 ohm line might be closer to 0.15 dB/100' due to the lower
conductor losses of the bigger wire. Just comparing, 300 ohm
line with 20 AWG and 450 ohm 16 AWG solid conductors, (and
assuming 0.54 dB/100' for the 300 ohm line), you would expect
that the loss for the 450 ohm line would be around 0.22dB/100'.
I don't know how much additional difference there would be due
to the difference between the stranded and solid conductors.