Re: [TowerTalk] 80 4-square inside a 160 4-square? Pros and Consplease!

To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80 4-square inside a 160 4-square? Pros and Consplease!
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 18:02:54 -0700 (PDT)
Jim Lux said:
> We need to create those same tools for other antenna configurations, and
> phased arrays in their many forms are probably a good place to start.  No
> longer should the computational complexity be a reason to avoid particular
> designs.  Synthesizing and analyzing complex networks of 20 inductors and

When I built my first 7 hex array, I measured the impedances and
compared them with EZNEC.  They were considerably different.  Fortunately,
the phasing network has one adjustable coil and one adjustable capacitor
which are empirically adjusted for correct phasing.  It would be
a nightmare to have to measure a 7x7 matrix of coefficients and
synthesize 7 arbitrary networks.  And that's just for one frequency.
You start all over again if you QSY from phone to CW.  OTOH, my
2 element phasing network can (and eventually will) be servoed by
a simple phase/magnitude controller that is very similar to an
autotuner.  In fact, I am going to convert a military autotuner
for this purpose.  This is not a tools issue; you have to physically
build all this stuff, and computer tools aren't going to do that
for you.

Rick N6RK