Re: [TowerTalk] Rotators again

To: "Alan AB2OS" <ab2os@att.net>,"towertalk reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotators again
From: "Jerry Keller" <k3bz@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 11:24:54 -0400
  From: Pete Smith
  To: Alan AB2OS ; towertalk reflector
  Sent: Monday, June 14, 2004 8:09 AM

  At 07:45 AM 6/14/2004, Alan AB2OS wrote:

  >So you are saying that running the coax down through the mast and rotator
  >doesn't really allow one to dispense with a rotor loop?
  >
  >That was another of the things I liked about the AlfaSpid -- although, if
  >I am reading their online info. correctly, these things are significantly
  >more expensive than I thought: exchange rate problem?

  Second question first -- The US dollar has declined considerably against
  both the Canadian dollar and the Euro; I assume that the AlfaSpid rotators
  are imported from somewhere in Europe or JA.

  I think K8RI has a good point -- the 360-degree twist would not be good for
  either the coax or any connectors.  However, I've often wondered why more
  hams don't use the trick that seems to be universal on the TV trucks with
  the pneumatic masts -- they wind the coax around the mast instead of having
  a free-standing loop.  All you do is run the rotator to one stop
  (clockwise, for example) and then wind the coax around the mast 3-4 turns
  in that direction.  As the rotator turns counterclockwise, the coax wrap
  simply gets somewhat looser.  Secure at both ends to prevent stress on
  connectors and you're done.

  73, Pete N4ZR
  The World HF Contest Station Database
  was updated on June 5, 2004