Re: [TowerTalk] Funniest thing I've seen in weeks

To: Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com>,"towertalk reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Funniest thing I've seen in weeks
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 14:42:05 -0700
At 04:36 PM 7/1/2004 -0400, Tom Rauch wrote:

> the elements.  For instance, a log periodic (which has all
elements driven)
> doesn't really care which end it's driven at (aside from
some matching issues).

The log periodic uses crossfire phasing, and that means it
must always fire towards the feedpoint.

There is no way around that, so the statement a "log doesn't
care which end is fed" is absolutely not correct in an
aperiodic design.

Hmmm. I seem to recall seeing a log periodic fed backwards, but I'll have to take a look for the design and see if they were fooling with oddball transmission lines or loading.

As for the Yagi, optimum pattern and gain require elements
be excited in a binomial current distribution. While you
could feed the front and use two rearward parasitics in a
three element antenna (the middle in NO way would be tuned
accurately as a reflector, or the furthest to the rear would
have almost no current), by far the optimum feedpoint is the
center which will produce a nearly perfect 1:2:1 current
distribution and a null of at least 40dB with proper tuning
and spacing.

The binomial case is just one aperture weighting that happens to be simple (both in analysis and in implementation). It's not necessarily optimum, depending on what you want the main and sidelobes to look like. Any sort of tapered illumination will tend to broaden the main lobe and reduce the sidelobes. If one wanted a real narrow main lobe, and didn't care so much about side/back lobes, you could go with a reverse taper that has higher currents at the ends. Especially if you have lots of elements (as in a long boom design), one could in theory, construct any sort of illumination/current taper you wanted (such as a Chebysheff or Taylor), although, I think you might have a problem with realizibility or bandwidth (you don't have total freedom with mutual impedances... an interesting synthesis problem... good topic for a thesis project). And of course, it's probably not worthwhile. Nobody is obsessing about 30 dB sidelobes for an amateur antenna.

The depth of null is almost entirely going to be determined by design and construction tolerances. 40 dB nulls imply controlling the current to around 1%, which would be quite challenging, especially over frequency. I'll bet the wind induced motion in the elements would change the coupling enough to cause problems. As it happens, I have a paper I'm working on that addresses just this problem (i.e. how much does the mutual coupling, and hence the pattern, vary as a function of small displacements in the elements): For parallel dipoles spaced 0.2 wavelength apart(one driven, one shorted), a 1% change in spacing changes the phase of the radiated field by about half a degree. For small angular changes in dipoles half a wavelength apart, 1 degree results in a phase change of about half a degree. That half a degree phase change corresponds to about a 40-45 dB null. Normal element flexing in an antenna is probably on the order of several percent distance wise, and probably 4 or 5 degrees. I don't recall the exact numbers for such large displacements (it's not important in my application) but it's probably roughly linear, so you're looking at phase shifts of 5-10 degrees.

Of course, this is what makes the SteppIR so cool, it makes getting 30 - 40 dB nulls actually possible over a wide bandwidth (just not all frequencies at the same time). (if only the wind didn't blow<grin>)

The idea of adding a reflector behind a reflector is a waste
of time, because there is essentially no field there to work
with. This is why Yagi's have developed into multiple
directors with single reflectors. Even trigonal reflectors
(staggered above and below the boom) have largely proven to
be a waste of material.

Why would you say there's no field behind the reflector? True, in the far field where the fields from all the elements have cancelled, but certainly not in the near field, and particularly not in a superdirective array. Try running a NEC model on a Yagi and looking at the H field (which is where the energy is stored).

For instance, on a 3 element 20m beam, with 5.37, 5.31, and 4.70 meter elements, spaced at 2.72 and 3.89m, the H field has three distinct peaks at the element positions, but the field extends about 1.5 meters off either end before it decays to less than 10% of the peak at the driven element. This is particularly noticeable if you do a cut at, say, 0.25 m above the plane of the elements. Indeed, the fact that it decays that much implies that this particular antenna might not benefit much from an added element on either end, especially if it's spaced out comparable to the other two.

Of course if you DON'T properly tune an element for null
then adding a second reflector can help.

I don't think that adding a reflector (or director, for that matter) to an existing optimized design will have all that big an effect (at least not a good one!). You'd have to optimize the whole shooting match, and you'd probably want the elements pretty closely spaced. You'd probably get into a situation where the coupled currents are so high that loss becomes an issue, and, in any case, it would probably be horribly narrow band.

I think the confusion in all of this comes from people
thinking reflector reflect and directors direct. That just
isn't what they do. What all of the elements do is cancel
radiation towards the undesired direction. The minute a
director starts "directing" as a primary gain mechanism it
barely affect pattern. Patterns are formed by squeezing
radiation by forming nulls, like squeezing a balloon.
Stretching the pattern forward is a very inefficient way to
obtain gain.

I would agree, although, superdirective arrays work by stretching to get gain, but have limits on how far you can take it.

Traveling wave antennas, like the Fishbone, Beverage,
Inverted V, and V Beam, use in-phase addition more than
nulling to achieve directivity. That's why they require huge
amounts of linear area for minimal gain.  I can't imaging
why anyone would want to mess up a Yagi by making it work as
a traveling wave antenna, unless they pound for pound had
more element and boom material than brain material. Hi hi.

If they needed very broad band characteristics. Of course, you would probably be better off with a log periodic or something else.