[TowerTalk] [Fwd: BPL Comments]

To: lsdxa@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] [Fwd: BPL Comments]
From: Tom Anderson <WW5L@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 18:00:36 -0500

Lone Star DX Association prez. Bill, W5SJ found the following BPL comments and asked me to forward them to the reflector since he was having bounce problems with his ISP and the reflector.

Tom, WW5L

 Here's an interesting and worth reading BPL comment to FCC by a young ham.
Sent to me by Skip W5GAI...73, Bill, W5SJ
--------------------
Reply Comments by to the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking
by Benjamin S. Gelb, KF4KJQ, a graduating senior at Thomas Jefferson
High
 School for
 Science and Technology in Alexandria, Virginia.

Before the
> [...]
> the claims of
> > either side has been made by the Commission.
> >
> > So far, the Commission's attitude seems to be to accept the word of BPL
> manufacturers as
> > fact, no questions asked, despite the fact that many statements made by
> BPL proponents and
> > subsequently parroted by the Commission are embarrassingly nonsensical
> someone with
> > even
> > the most rudimentary technical education (e.g. stating that the
> characteristics of a power
> > line are "somewhere between a waveguide and an antenna" in the NPRM).
> Meanwhile, the
> > Commission has dismissed actual testing and analysis conducted by many
> technically adept
> > individuals, as
> > well as organizations such as the ARRL, AMRAD, and the NTIA as
> "unsupported claims" that
> > cannot "stand in the way of such an innovation as BPL."2
> >
> > Current Technologies states that the debate has been "complicated
further
> by the existence
> > of several different technical approaches to BPL, each of which works
> differently."
> >
> > Current Technologies seems to say that while some implementations of BPL
> may cause power
> > line radiation, its own implementation does not. This cannot be for the
> reason addressed
> > previously - all BPL systems will cause power line radiation - but
> assuming for a moment
> > that
> > Current has found a way around the laws of physics, it is clear that
each
> of the
> > "different technical approaches" to BPL needs to be addressed
individually
> in the new
> > rules, because even if Current Technologies' implementation may not
cause
> interference,
> > other implementations will.
> > More curiously, no sufficient detail has been provided regarding the
> operations of ANY of
> > the "different technical approaches" or what technical property gives
> Current Technolgies'
> > system the ability to prevent power lines from radiating. It boggles the
> mind to think
> > that the Commission plans to implement effective new rules without
> evaluating such
> > technical details.
> >
> > 1 ARRL BPL Video. http://216.167.96.120/BPL_Trial-web.mpg
> >
> > 2 The statement of Commissioner Adelstein on the NPRM.
> > Current Technologies' assertion that "BPL bandwidth has no effect on
> interference" is
> > incorrect.
> >
> > This is not a matter of science, but one merely of common sense. A wider
> signal bandwidth
> > means that BPL signals will occupy a greater set of frequencies.
Therefore
> there are more
> > frequencies where interference may occur. An isolated interfering signal
> of narrow
> > bandwidth often does not constitute harmful interference because, while
> annoying, it can
> > be easily avoided by simply moving to another frequency. A broad band
BPL
> signal, on the
> > other hand, could quite easily consume an entire BAND of operating
> frequencies, which are
> > normally only a few hundred kHz wide in the HF range. There is a grave
> difference between
> > a single narrow band signal and a broad band one like BPL.
> >
> > In its comments, Ambient cites President George W. Bush's recent speech
on
> broadband
> > technology. "So how is some guy in remote Wyoming going to get any
> broadband
> > technology? Regulatory policy has got to be wise and smart as we
encourage
> the spread of
> > this important technology. There needs to be technical standards to make
> possible new
> > broadband technologies, such as the use of high-speed communication
> directly over power
> > lines. Power lines were for electricity; power lines can be used for
> broadband technology.
> > So the technical standards need to be changed to encourage that.
> >
> > Ambient strongly supports the President's conclusion that ' ...
technical
> standards need
> > to be changed to encourage ...' the use of high-speed communication
> directly over power
> > lines."
> >
> > Ambient supports the conclusion that "technical standards need to be
> changed," but what
> > about that guy out in Wyoming? Ambient seems to have artfully chosen its
> words so it can
> > later deny promises of rural broadband. This is because, as I explained
in
> my original
> > comments to the
> > NPRM, Access BPL is no more viable in a rural area than cable or DSL
> service. For the
> > benefit of the Commission, I have reproduced those earlier comments here
> (paragraph
> > references refer to paragraphs in the NPRM).
> >
> > Access BPL will not provide service to rural areas for the same reasons
> that cable and DSL
> > are not available in rural areas. As is stated in paragraph 3, access
BPL
> is a means
> > of "'last mile' delivery." A BPL signal can only travel a few thousand
> feet down a power
> > line. Neighborhood distribution lines still must be connected to the
> Internet via fiber
> > optic
> > cable, as is outlined in paragraph 4. This is viable in an urban or
> suburban setting,
> > where the number of potential customers can justify the cost of the
fiber
> backhaul, but
> > will not float in a rural environment. The Commission seems to subscribe
> to a
> > misconception that the national power grid can be magically connected to
> BPL and turn
> > every outlet in America into an Internet connection. This is not the
case.
> A substantial
> > amount of new infrastructure must be constructed in the area of BPL
> service, and therefore
> > will not promote BPL in rural areas any more than other broadband
> technologies.
> >
> > As the promise of rural service is the sole pretense for the
Commission's
> blind rush to
> > deploy BPL at all costs, perhaps it might behoove the Commission to
> consider BPL for what
> > it really is and reconsider its motivation for promoting it so
> relentlessly.
> >
> > Ambient states that it "believes that such coexistence of BPL with other
> critical uses of
> > spectrum is a goal which can be achieved."
> >
> > The coexistence of Access BPL with other critical uses of spectrum is
not
> a goal to be
> > achieved; it is a BEDROCK REQUIREMENT for operation under the
> non-interferences conditions
> > of the Part 15 rules. Compliance to this condition must be demonstrated
> PRIOR to operation
> > of Access
> > BPL systems. To apply regulatory power in any other way would simply
turn
> Part 15 on its
> > head.
> >
> > To quote from the Part 15 label on the back of a small electronic device
> on my desk, "this
> > device may not cause harmful interference." This is a stark contrast
from
> the
> > interpretation of the rules regarding BPL, which goes something like,
"BPL
> systems may
> > cause interference, as long as some effort is made to correct said
> interference once it is
> > identified by a party receiving interference." This is simply backward.
> The responsibility
> > of identifying and initiating corrective action for interference must
not
> fall on the
> > licensed user of spectrum. Access BPL equipment
> > must be conclusively proven to be able to operate under non-interference
> conditions
> > through a thorough, documented technical analysis. To date, no such
> analysis exists.
> >
> > There is a growing body of evidence, however, that suggests that Access
> BPL systems cannot
> > be implemented without causing interference. Technical analyses by
AMRAD,