Re: [TowerTalk] Non-vertical stacking question

To: TexasRF@aol.com, w5wvo@cybermesa.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Non-vertical stacking question
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 09:38:10 -0700
At 12:33 PM 7/6/2004 -0400, TexasRF@aol.com wrote:
Regarding Bill's non-vertical stacking question:

In the directions that the antenas deliver in phase signals to the combining
device, the stacking gain should be there and normal. In the directions the
signals are out of phase, there wil be a null. In between directions will give
in between results as well.

This would be a great application to use one of the variable delay line units
to vary the phase of one of the antennas to allow proper in phase combining.
There was an ARRL Antenna Compendium several years ago, authored by W5AH on
such a unit to be used with two vertical antennas. The unit used several relays
to switch different lengths of coax sections in/out to accomplish the variable
phasing effect.

Switching coax in is all well and good, but if there's any mutual interaction between the antennas, then you wind up with weird power distributions and unexpected phase shifts, because the impedances at the feed points aren't 50 ohms.

The antenna Compendium article that I think you referring to actually used a modified antenna tuner as a pi network phase shifter, and I think he had the antennas far enough apart that the mutual Z was low.