Re: [TowerTalk] Lighting

To: "Wilson Lui" <wilsonlui@atitec.com>,"'David Robbins K1TTT'" <k1ttt@arrl.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lighting
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 17:07:07 -0400
Thanks Dave and Wilson.

> Grounding does not prevent strikes. What a proper
grounding system does do
> is allow for any lightning strike that does happen is
condected safely into
> the surrounding soil and not arc through any
equipment/structure trying to
> find a lower resistance path to earth.

That's my opinion also, based only on the physics involved.

I notice a large group of people actually think lighting
does not hit grounded structures because grounding causes
the charges to bleed off or dissipate.

I'm curious where that idea actually came from. Does anyone
know?

73 Tom