[TowerTalk] Hygain Hy-tower on 160 & 80

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hygain Hy-tower on 160 & 80
From: "Gregg E. Salomone" <spectrum@shs-medstaff.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 10:35:45 -0500
I'm back again!
I have a Hygain Hy-tower and have been using the base mounted loading coil for
80 meters. The power rating for that coil cannot exceed 300 watts or the
antenna will arc.
I purchased the side mounted MK160A unit that causes the tower to act as an
inverted L on 160. This unit essentially eliminates the base coil which raises
the operating resonant frequency on 80 into the phone portion. I tapped the
coil for cw on 80. I operate on cw.
Has anyone ever purchased the MK160A unit but modified the tower in any way to
make the 80 band resonant in the cw portion?
While I'm still on the subject...has anyone out there had high swr on 15 with
this antenna which I have assembled and reassembled per instruction but without
improving the swr on 15?
It is a great antenna but I miss my beams!
73 Gregg