[TowerTalk] TA-33 Mosley Senior-Choke Balun needed?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] TA-33 Mosley Senior-Choke Balun needed?
From: Bob Allen <mcamp@gmavt.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:13:38 -0400
Hi,
We were working on our 2 Field Day antennas and the question came up about choke baluns and whether they are needed on this antenna.
The manufacturer say no but Cushcraft's instructions for one of their tri-banders of similar construction and frequency says to make a choke balun by wrapping coax in a 6" circle 8 turns. Given that and the assumption that the coax hitched direct could have problems with common mode currents as described in the ARRL Antenna Book 19th ed. sec.26 pg. 16 we use choke baluns as described above.
The question is: are we doing anything that might stand out as particularly wrong in the sense of signal loss or maybe SWR issues though these antennas tune fine like this (except when we get the dipoles too close)?
We feed these with rg-8

Bob
KB1FRW