Re: [TowerTalk] Erections (TWR)

To: <K8fu@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Erections (TWR)
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 19:08:06 -0700
Rohn specifies fine threads on their tower bolts (at least for Rohn
25), but no lockwashers. Presumeably this is because the nut on
a fine thread bolt has to turn farther to lose its preload and come
loose. I don't know what the torque specs are for Rohn 25, but the
steel tubing they use for the legs is soft enough that it will yied
slightly when you tighten up the bolts. In that sense, the tower leg
sort of becomes like a bellevue washer. Combine that springy
preload from the slightly deformed leg with a fine thread bolt and
you may not need a lockwasher. If you add a lockwasher, and
use the same torque as without the lockwasher, you probably end
up with less "squeeze" on the tower leg. Perhaps that "squeeze"
is intentional and desired.

This is all idle speculation of my part of course :) Best to ask the
manufacturer if you are not sure.