[TowerTalk] Clarification: Cutting slots in aluminum tubing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Clarification: Cutting slots in aluminum tubing
From: "Steve London" <n2ic@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 00:47:20 +0100
Thanks to everyone for the speedy replies (most sent directly to me).  The
predominant view is to use either a hacksaw or dremel tool to put in 4
right-angle slots, and clean it up with a file.

I was a little surprised at that response.  I have done this before, and
have not been particularly happy with the results.  It seems that all the
antenna manufactures actually remove ~0.1" of aluminum from the slot, so
that the hose clamp cinches down better.  W6NL also talks about this in
Section 4.5 of his book, and even has a formula for the minimum slit width.

I think the idea from KK9A of using 2 hacksaw blades has promise for
obtaining the required slot width.

73,
Steve, N2IC