Re: [RFI] Question re: Whole House Surge Protection

To: Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com>,"Eric Rosenberg" <wd3q@starpower.net>, <rfi@contesting.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>, <pvrc@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Question re: Whole House Surge Protection
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 06:36:06 -0400
At 08:32 PM 7/21/2004, Tom Rauch wrote:
While I not saying surge protection should be ignored,  how
you connect things provides nearly all of the energy
diversion. If you don't follow proper lead routing and
grounding, there isn't a suppressor in the world that will
protect your gear.

The trouble is that almost none of us have the right combination of technical knowledge and material circumstances to achieve what you describe. In my case, for example, my shack has to be on the second floor, and my house is 100-150 years old (in parts), with wiring of every vintage after rod and tube. I am skeptical that what you advocate is even feasible in my case, and wouldn't have a clue how to accomplish it

Given this, and my liberal arts approach to electronics, surge suppression appeared to me to be the most practical way to go, along with disconnecting all conductors from my tower to the house, at the house entry panel (also on the second floor). So far, our computer network appears to be the weak point in this arrangement; only in-the-house equipment connected to it suffered in my major strike last summer, and a recent induced voltage event didn't do any damage except for frying the network protection part of one TrippLite TL810NET multiple device surge suppressor.

I'm contemplating going to a wireless network, simply to eliminate the fairly long runs of network cable between our computers, the hub and the cable modem; alternatively, can anyone recommend a good, cost-effective RG-45 surge suppressor that I can use to replace the TrippLite's network protection without having to replace the whole unit?

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
was updated on June 5, 2004
2728 contest stations at