[TowerTalk] Lightning Strike

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning Strike
From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:23:02 -0500
Yesterday the XYL called my office to say lightning had struck the tower
(again!).  She did not see the strike but guessed it hit the tower.  Upon
arrival at home I found many problems:

1. Computer LAN cable apparently carried sufficient voltage to destroy all
connected equipment (NIC's, routers, switches, satellite modem).  One PC
will not boot.

2. One PC monitor now displays purple around the edges and green in the
center.  The satellite modem was positioned adjacent to the monitor
(actually touching the cabinet) and I am guessing it caused EMP when it blew
from the LAN connection.

3. Alpha 87A will not turn on.  Checked and found no voltage at power
outlet.  Found breaker in service panel tripped.  Reset breaker, have 230VAC
at outlet, still will not turn on.  Need to check amp fuse.

4. Phone inoperative.  Called for service.  They detect problem on line
outside house.

5. Satellite TV to shack inoperative.  Tried receiver reset, no luck.
Satellite works fine in main house.

This is sort of a mystery to me.  But here is my analysis:

The shack is a 1000 sq ft "apartment" about 50 feet from the main house.  It
has den, kitchen, bedroom, bath, laundry, etc.  It has its own power service
and meter.  There is a conduit running between the house and shack that
carries prone line, LAN cable and TV cable.  It enters the shack through the
same area used for AC power meter and breaker box.  I am guessing that these
cables picked up a rather large EMP from the strike.

I would like opinions from the list.  Thanks.

Keith