Re: [TowerTalk] Self-supportig tower base size

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Self-supportig tower base size
From: Alan AB2OS <ab2os@att.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:31:22 -0400
I certainly haven't studied in detail the base specs. for every manufacturer's towers, but I must say that to me the AN Wireless specs. seem very comprehensive: five different sizes of base, each in two different designs, the size to be used depending not only on the height of the tower but whether it is the Light Duty or Heavy Duty model and the maximum expected wind speed.

E.g., the 60' Light Duty tower I plan to erect in an 80mph wind-speed zone requires a base 7' square x 5' deep = approx. 9 cu. yds. of concrete. This is supposed to be good for an antenna or antennas with an effective surface area of 15.6 sq. ft.

The 60' Heavy Duty version requires a base 8' square x 5' deep and is supposed to be good for an antenna or antennas with an effective surface area of 69.3 sq. ft. in an 80mph zone.

Note: all the AN Wireless towers are self supporting.

Alan AB2OS

On 07/23/04 02:12 pm Red put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Be cautious about applying one manufacturer's recommendations to another manufacturer's tower in deciding on dimensions for the base of a self supporting tower.

Total weight of base, tower, and everything on the tower is one variable. Minimum radius of the bottom of the base from its center is another. The sum of the wind induced moments is a third major variable. Soil characteristics are a fourth variable.

<snip>