Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection questions.

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection questions.
From: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 01:16:31 -0400
The only silversolder I've ever seen was about as close to brazing as you
could get without actually brazing.  I did a lot of it over the years,
attaching pure silver coils to water blocks.  The coils were of the pancake
variety and used for float zone refining of Silicon in a high vacuum.

> Aw come on guys, the guy is silver braising.  This requires at the minimum
> a MAPP gas torch, or better a Oxygen/Acetelene torch .. this is the stuff

I don't think you could have used one on the little MAP torches unless it
was used with Oxygen and a welding type tip.

> that the Air Conditioner guys use to "weld" the A/C lines with.  This is
> NOT a low temperature solder process.

Nope, As you say it's quite a high temperature and low resistance.  Those
little pancake coils handled a good many thousand watts of RF to melt that
silicon.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com