[TowerTalk] 1926 Radio Transmission Line

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 1926 Radio Transmission Line
From: "Harold and Deborah Nelson" <harrydeb@gwi.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 11:12:12 -0400
Does anyone know what was used for a transmission line between an antenna and
the receiver?

For a 10 mile transmission line, did the signal have to be boosted to get to
the receiver.

Remember, for the most part, there was no electricity in rural Maine in 1926.

Regards,

Harold E. Nelson

Hi Pete:

Have you any info on the underwater transmission line that ran from Otter
Cliffs to Seawall on Mount Desert Island?

We know what the Beverage Wave Antenna looked like, but there was a Beverage
that ran from Brooks to Freedom, identically parallel and 10 miles long just
like the one from Belfast to Searsmont.

Brooks is about 8-10 miles from Belfast, so they had a transmission line that
was aerial from the end of the Brooks antenna to either the Belfast Plant, or
the Marsh Road sub-station.

We want to figure out what radio engineers used for transmission line in 1926.
One report has the transmission line being about a half inch thick.  Maybe
solid copper.

I am thinking that perhaps a small telegraph underwater cable might have been
used by RCA for the connection from Brooks to Belfast.

In the aerial photo attached, the line running up the page (north) is the
transmission line.  It meets at almost 90 degrees, the Beverage Wave Antenna
coming in from the west.  The transmission line, once it hits the road, heads
toward Belfast.  Deed easements tell us the line ran down Route 203.  In that
era, Route 203 was not a State road, and landowners probably owned to the
center of the road, hence even though the line was along a road, easements were
needed.

Tom and Bill:

Know anything about telegraph cable being used for radio?

Regards,

Harold E. Nelson

Harold & Deborah Nelson
14 Hill Avenue