[TowerTalk] spiderballs, lightning and such

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] spiderballs, lightning and such
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:21:42 EDT
As a resident of the lightning center of the US over the last (central FL) my
towers have been hit many times.  I have some observations from my thirty
years with towers ranging from 64 to 200 feet.

First, (no surprise) the higher the tower, the more hits.
Second, although I never bothered with any lightning protection (VERY lucky)
for ten years, I never took anything other than very minor damage. I sustained
a couple of blown diodes in rotor control boxes even though the towers were
around 100 feet.
Third, loops and dipole get hit more than my beams.
Fourth, I have NEVER lost a single rotor due to lightning.  Boxes yes, rotors
no.  I have seen damage to other rotors from lightning, but mine have been
clean for 30 years.
The best improvement I made was using the Polyphaser devices at the entrance
bulkhead and beefing up the bulkhead grounding.  Almost two years without any
problems (knock on wood)
Disconnecting all equipment, computers as well as any radio equipment, from
AC mains as well as coax and control cables running into the bulkhead has been
helpful. Most of my fellow members of the FCG with really big towers agree on
this one.  Coax quick disconnects and Cinch-Jones plugs are pretty handy.

I know lots of guys have well-thought out ideas about blitzen and I respect
their opinions.  My towers get hit on a regular basis, and I still got a little
uptight when some BIG storms came rattling through a couple of hours ago, but
all was OK as usual this year.  All my info is anecdotal, but it is food for
thought.

Good luck avoiding Thor.

Bill K4XS