Re: [TowerTalk] Protecting Remote Locations

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Protecting Remote Locations
From: "N6KJ" <kelly@thejohnsons.ws>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:02:44 -0700 (PDT)
That sounds a bit high tech and unable to handle the "typical" vandal
case.  Besides, I'm talking about places that are quite remote where
it may be difficult to set up a 2.4GHz link to the outside world or where
the county sheriff is 30 miles away and doesn't want to deal with this stuff.

I'm mainly talking about protecting a remote tower site
from idiots that like to go out into the desert with their guns and
shoot stuff or break into the "shack" and steal or break stuff.
Didn't this happen a year or so ago to one of the NCDXF beacons in Finland?
The primary concern would be someone shooting up stuff or cutting coax.
A secondary concern would be someone breaking in just to break stuff.

I've heard a few stories of people with remote shacks in the Nevada desert
that have a few extra bullet holes in them each time the owner visits.