Re: [TowerTalk] spider balls.. they work

To: "W4ZW" <w4zw@comcast.net>, "'Jim Lux'" <jimlux@earthlink.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] spider balls.. they work
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 14:46:41 -0400
> The panel confirmed that there was no scientific basis for
NFPA 781. But it
> also
> said there's no scientific basis for NFPA 780 (traditional
lightning rods)
> either.

Jon,

Lightning rods have no basis for strike prevention, only for
strike management.

The spike balls however create a problem that reports bring
up. While they do NOT reduce the chances of a hit, they do
cause a problem with hot metal slag falling as they get hit.

They also increase corona, and that increases radio noise.

If I was going to put anything on my tower it would be large
copper balls, not spider balls. They would reduce corona and
lower noise. (I know there will be some comments about
copper balls. I'm not talking about Joe Friday.)

We had a problem with repeaters on tall buildings, and we
mounted copper toilet tank floats on metal poles that
extended above the antennas and it settled things right
down. Later they were replaced with flag poles.

73 Tom