[TowerTalk] Gear drive motor

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Gear drive motor
From: CubexCo@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 12:33:58 EDT
In a message dated 8/2/2004 12:07:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Could a couple of you take a look at the Grainger
model # 5K539 gearmotor and see if this would be a
suitable gearmotor for my application (driving the
winch on my tower) ?? i just discovered that i have
access to an older version of this from Dayton Motor
it appears to be a little heaftier and the ratings are
similar with slightly more torque (719).

thanks

Dan N8DCJ
=================
Dan,
Unless the it is a wormgear arrangement I would not use it for a cable winch
drive.  That assumes the cable drum is free wheeling.  If you are driving a
"boat" winch with built in braking it should be no problem.  I would design the
cable/winch mechanism to also provide positive pull-down which a "boat" winch
can not provide.

Regards,
Norman W4QN

"The Power of a Cubex Quad"