Re: [TowerTalk] RE: Horizontal Loops

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RE: Horizontal Loops
From: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:53:06 -0700
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
> I think you mean -3dB BeamWidth and -30dB?? I don't follow
> that.

True, I must have been still thinking about narrowing the the apex
angle to when I used anglewidth rather than beamwidth.

Anyhow,  EZNEC started showing increasing gain maximizing to
about 20 dbi (10 meters) with the apex angle about 35 degrees.
That's when the beamwidth narrowed to essentially one bi-
directional lobe but only about  ~5 degrees at the -3db points
and not much wider at -~30db points.

> I've been generally unsuccessful in
> finding a V beam (or even a Rhombic) that has substantially
> more gain that a three element Yagi.

True again, maybe even worse. My 525' vee with its 50 degree
apex angle seldom works as good as my 320' dipole
(dbleextzepp80m) at the same height.

> If  there is a V beam that does 20dBi and has a reasonable
> beamwidth for that gain, I'm interested. I can do that with
> a large distributed feed curtain array.

k7puc