Re: [TowerTalk] Tramming

To: "Jim Idelson" <k1ir@designet.com>,"TowerTalk Post" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tramming
From: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 16:32:21 -0400
My preference would be one of the Kevlar based cables which is what I use for guy lines.

Although much easier to handle and store, lighter weight, and though they are much easier to damage then EHS. That means the tram needs to have good, smooth pulleys, and no sharp edges. The ends also need to be sealed from moisture. Due to their light weight and strength they have very little catenary. This really shows when you run a tram up one carrying a heavy weight as there will be a pronounced dip at the tram the size of which depends on the weight and cable tension.

Even taking all that into consideration, I still prefer the Kevlar cables.

Roger Halstead (K8RI, EN73 & ARRL Life Member) N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2) www.rogerhalstead.com

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like EHS is the way to go. I like the idea
of using Big Grips on the ends so that the terminations are adjustable and so
the pulley can travel right up to the mast. The only thing I don't like about
this solution is the difficulty in storage. I'd prefer a more flexible material
that can be rolled more easily into a smaller roll.

73,

Jim Idelson K1IR
email    k1ir at designet.com
web    http://www.designet.com/k1ir