[TowerTalk] Rooftop "hard points"

To: "towertalk reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rooftop "hard points"
From: "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:39:23 -0400
Anyone having a custom home built might consider seeing what it would cost
to have your builder add "hard points" on the roof, with mounting antennas
there in mind.  It could go so far, depending on your aesthetic concerns, of
having a couple steel I-beams extend out of your roof to mount to.  Or, like
in my case where my hamshack is in the room over the garage, I could have
had a small rotating pole put up on the roof with a steering wheel coming
straight down to the ham desk -- the old "armstrong" rotator method.  It
would have been pretty amusing and fun -- I thought a 160/80M receiving loop
could have been useful.

Especially, some of us have kind of tall houses -- mind is 55' at the peak.
It's kind of "home design with ham radio in mind," if you can think ahead
and work ahead that way.

73 - Rich, KE3Q