Re: [TowerTalk] My Tower cost

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] My Tower cost
From: kb9cry@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:56:44 +0000
Tower cost will vary depending on the type of installation you're willing to
put up.  "Field day" style installations can be very inexpensive and can
actually last a good many years but if you're going to follow all the
manufacturer's recommendations and good tower engineering practices, then it's
not cheap.  Actually for my recent 120 ft. guyed Rohn 45, the tower and antenna
were the least costly of the total.  I didn't skimp on this installation and am
confident it will, Lord willing, last a good many years with little worry.

Finally, someone made a comment that I feel compelled to write about.  Your
local ordinances or county or whatever may not require a tower permit but
virtually all counties in the US require a permit whenever you pour structural
concrete.  And tower bases are structural concrete.  Ask around on the Ham-Law
reflector, but you may be sorry later on if you don't inquire about that
special requirement.  That's what I ended up with and am glad I did, I didn't
need a tower permit but indeed needed a permit for the concrete so to speak.
Gd luck, Phil  KB9CRY