Re: [TowerTalk] upper yagi noise--a reason?

To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>, <jimjarvis@comcast.net>,"Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] upper yagi noise--a reason?
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 23:26:52 -0700
This reminds of something that I observed about 18 years
ago when I was going to school at Ohio State in Columbus.
Steve, N8SM (now sk) and I were at the radio club on a cold
windy winter afternoon. The radio club at Ohio State had a
600 foot long wire hanging about 90' feet in the air which
was offset fed with open wire line. The pstat that afternoon
was so intense that Steve was drawing 4" long arcs off the
feedline to ground where it came into shack. It was pretty
amazing.

BTW, I agree that the noise we so loathe is likely due to
discharge rather than charging. In the aircraft world, static
dischargers are commonly used to reduce precipitation
static caused by charge buildup on the aircraft fuselage.
These are lossy carbon loaded rods that come to a sharp
point, the idea being to promote continuous low-level bleed
off a charge from the fuselage rather than large abrupt
discharges which can be more disruptive to avionics. If
noise were primarily due to charging impacts, dischargers
would not be effective. In fact, here is an article that I found
while "googling" on the subject. Looks like this guy did
some reasonably well controlled tests on Yagis with and
without dischargers attached:

http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/buster.html

This technique does seem to be at odds with low noise
characteristics that some have observed with quad antennas.
Perhaps there are two ways to combat precipitation static.
One method is to sharpen everything to a point in order to
increase coronal discharge so that it is at a steady low-level
(as with the static dischargers). Alternatively it seems that
blunting everything so much that discharge seldom occurs
(as with the quad) works at the other extreme.