Re: [TowerTalk] CATV Hardline As Elements

To: N4CW@aol.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CATV Hardline As Elements
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 11:06:54 -0700
At 10:24 AM 9/2/2004 -0400, N4CW@aol.com wrote:
Being financially "challenged" and not having any reasonable sources of
aluminum for antenna experimenting, I thought of using CATV hardline as elements
(on perhaps a 6- or 10-meter yagi). I've got some 7/8" that I can use. It's
fairly rigid in short lengths.
Has this been tried before? Successfully?
If not, what are some potential problems? I just plan to ignore the center
conductor in the parasitic elements (but, I have thought of feeding the center
conductor in the driven element and allowing capacitive coupling to the
aluminum outer shield to transfer the r.f. with little loss.)
Thoughts and advice are appreciated.
Bert, N4CW/1

Another fairly inexpensive way to improvise elements is to use multiple copper wires on the surface of a cheap substrate (PVC pipe, wood, etc.) It's an easy way to get a "fat" element which has other useful properties (e.g. bandwidth). For a 10m antenna you're looking at elements which need to be about 8 ft long (sticking out from the center).

Also, consider the idea of using truss and guy type construction to work with floppy lightweight tubing (like "Schedule A" thin wall PVC). Kind of draggy from a aerodynamic standpoint, and not particularly durable, what with UV, etc., but great as a support for experimenting. You build the mechanical structure once, and then just zip-tie wires to the struts.

You might also be able to use that aluminum tape used for HVAC ducts on the surface of something as a element. It's fairly inexpensive (50 yd, 2" wide, runs about $10) and is around 3 mils thick. Heck, aluminum foil and glue might work. Skin depth is pretty small at 30 MHz (about 0.0006" in Aluminum), and most household aluminum foil is in the area of 0.001" thick. The rule of thumb is that if your layer is 5 skindepths thick, then you've got more than 99% of the conductivity of a solid bar. 2 skin depths is 86%

(check out the on-line skin depth calculator at: http://www.microwaves101.com/encyclopedia/calsdepth.cfm

very handy)

Jim, W6RMK