[TowerTalk] Vincent loaded antennas

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Vincent loaded antennas
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 17:09:50 -0700
I was following up on Rob Vincent's "miracle antennas" at URI. There's a fairly long slide show available from a link at:

http://www.uri.edu/news/releases/?id=2659

It's kind of hard to follow everything through this, but it looks like a 12 foot high DLM (aka a partially continuously loaded monopole) has a bandwidth of about 150kHz at 7.2 MHz. This is nothing special, in my opinion, since it's only 1/3 the height of an unloaded regular monopole (which would have comparable bandwidth, depending on the physical diameter).

He also goes through a whole lot of stuff about the desirability of top hat, because it makes the current more uniform, but, again, this is nothing new.

I think Tom, W8JI, has a bunch of stuff on his website that goes through all the current distribution and tophat stuff (and Tom's is a lot better organized!)

Rob Vincent did do some interesting stuff with measuring current profiles along the antenna (moving a donut type current probe over the antenna along a track). I don't think he adequately controlled for the effects of the cables and such to his current probe, but it's hard to tell from the slide show.

The slide show also changes the story a bit on melting the antenna. In the press release it sounds like it was accidental, but in the slide show it sounds like a deliberate test to destruction. Without actually having talked to Rob, I can say that the narrative in the press release could have been a nicely juiced up version created by a PR flack. (been there, done that, read the story and thought, "I said that?")

Jim, W6RMK

Meanwhile, I am on a quest for small, reasonably efficient, rapidly tunable radiators. In numbers:

small == on order of 1 meter in size
reasonably efficient = 50% would be nice (free space - ignoring effects from ground loss)
BW has to be >10kHz (without retuning)
tuning speed 1-10kHz/second within bands, several seconds for bandswitching. (that is, I'd like to be able to tune over a hundred kHz about as fast as I can turn the knob on the radio)
Multiple bands (80-10 would be nice)
Lowish cost (several hundred dollars each)