Re: [TowerTalk] tower base concrete or not

To: roy.thistle@utoronto.ca
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower base concrete or not
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 22:26:23 -0400

On Sep 7, 2004, at 7:29 PM, roy.thistle@utoronto.ca wrote:

I am installing a 40 foot tower. It will not be self supporting. It will
be bracketed to the roof/wall, and I will use guy wires.

Depending on where you place the brackets, and how much you have on the tower, you may or may not need to have the guy wires.

The tower is in
10 foot sections, and is about 50 pounds per section. It looks similar to
TV type tower; but, it is more reinforced with cross-braces, and is
heavier.

Rohn 25?

I have dug a 3 foot by 3 foot by 6 foot hole. The hole has been there for
about a month, and shows little sign of collapse.

If this is Rohn 25, that's a HUGE hole.

Do I need to use concrete? Can I just drop 4 to 5 feet of the bottom
section of the tower in the hole and back-fill with gravel.

Use concrete. Put about six inches of gravel in the bottom and stick the tower legs into it. This will allow any condensation to drain out of the tower legs in the bottom of the gravel.

You need to use concrete.

I am asking
because I have seen many TV type towers (some over 30 feet high) installed
with a roof or wall bracket, and the bottom section buried only about 18
to 24 inches down in the ground. Some of these towers are holding a 12
foot steel mast, and a yagi...some are holding a couple yagis and rotors.
I have climbed many of them, until I realized how flimsy the installation
was. Never the less, some of them have been up for almost 50 years.

They've been lucky. You want to do better than depend on luck.

I think that there was a previous thread wondering about the amount of
concrete that is required?

3x3x6 is a lot of concrete - 2 yards. I suggest you get a concrete truck out there to pour it.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901