[TowerTalk] what coax to use

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] what coax to use
From: Craig Clark <jcclark@worldpath.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:15:18 -0400
Lee,

It sounds like you are only going to have a ~~100' run of coax from the shack to the antennas. Here are some of my thoughts:

For 1.8 to 30 MHz, RG213 PVC type IIa coax is a cost effective choice.
(And really all you need.)

For VHF and UHF, LMR 400 or 400 UF coax makes sense as it's loss numbers are better. (LMR is hard to get right now as Times is a bit behind on production.) You don't want to use LMR400 if the VHF antennas are going to rotate as it has solid center conductor that will fail under constant flexing. That said, the 213 will work fine too at runs under 100'.

I sell and really like Davis's Bury-flex due to its rugged construction. It is a true direct burial cable with a PE jacket, has a 100% wire and mylar barrier, foam dielectric and a stranded center conductor. It has loss numbers comparable with LMR and would be a good choice for 1.8 to 450 MHz.

I hope this helps you and others.

73, Craig Clark, K1QX

RADIOWARE AND RADIO BOOKSTORE
PO  BOX 209