Re: [TowerTalk] thrust bearing

To: lclarks@nc.rr.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] thrust bearing
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:15:09 EDT
If the thrust bearing was new when you installed it and it is functioning
normally, no maintenance should be necessary.  However, if you obtained the
bearing used it may need some work.

I have come across lots of thrust bearings over the years and they have  been
"maintained" to death.  Unfortunately, although these bearings do not
require any lubricant to be added because of the low RPM, lots of guys do use
various lubricants.  The result can be a gummy, sticky mess that actually
retards
rotation.

Fortunately, the fix for this is easy.  Spray degreaser into the  slit where
the bearing are, and flush all this crud out.

There is one other thing you might want to do.  While you have access  to the
bearing, check the set bolts that tighten around the mast.  If you  haven't
already done so, be sure to put grease or NoAlox into the thread sleeve  of the
opening and then reinsert the bolts.  These bolts tend to seize up  and can
be impossible to remove as oxidation takes place.  I suggest using  stainless
steel bolts with the grease.  It works for me.

Bill K4XS