Re: [TowerTalk] Re: gain specifications (was CobWebb antennas)

To: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>,<corneliuspaul@gmx.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: gain specifications (was CobWebb antennas)
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 07:21:14 -0700
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>; <corneliuspaul@gmx.net>
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2004 5:27 AM

> Fortunately, we have very good computer modeling tools
> these days, Con, so it is much harder to fool the consumer
> if he is doing his homework (at least when it comes to
> antennas that lend themselves to accurate modeling - some
> don't). Still, however, the snake oil salesman continue to
> pedal their wares. They know that there is a bottomless pit
> of uninformed newcomers who don't know any better. And
> so it goes.
>
> 73 de Mike, W4EF..................................

It would, of course, help if the manfacturers of antennas would provide
modeling information. Preferably as a "ready to run" NEC deck, but just
dimensions would be good too.

This is sort of what ARRL requires for advertising gain in QST ads, and I
note that most mfrs don't provide it.  It's sort of like "peak music power"
specs for audio amps.

And, for antennas that don't model well, a decent explanation of why would
be appropriate (just so we don't get into model wars about things like the
CFA, twisted double helix toroids, etc.,etc.etc.).

On the other hand, if I were a mfr, I'd be more interested in selling sizzle
than steak as well.  Such is marketing. Most people buy on the basis of
things other than the last 0.1 dB of performance. (Like, is it in stock at
HRO when I go down there?  Will it fit?, etc.)

Jim, W6RMK